15dollarCam

I take most of these pictures while riding my bicycle around San Francisco. I hope you will enjoy viewing them. August 27, 2007 and before: $15 Radio Shack digigr8, 300 kilopixel camera. November 13, 2007 and after: Canon SD1000

31 January 2006

Photography Non-vérité


A recent trip to a record store that involved browsing the vinyl record albums inspired the above composition. It is an attempt to reproduce the exaggerated hues and unnatural lighting effects that seem to be so common to album art of the 60's and 70's. At that time, the task involved a significant amount of mastery of analog photographic techniques. The above composition required a few adjustments to the saturation, hue, brightness, and contrast sliders on my rudimentary photo editing program. So, while it is a visual approximation of the art of the era, it by no means required the amount of skill employed to create the era-defining works that emerged during those and subsequent generations.

Here is the original image, before performing any adjustments.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a view! This light looks right to me... one of the San Franciscos I open my heart to.

31 January, 2006 17:21  
Blogger Zhai YaLi said...

Lursley - thanks for your feedback. I also think it's an easy place to love.

01 February, 2006 11:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home